Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Text Box Interface tool to update an In-DB connection

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a workflow I plan on turning into an App that co-workers (non-Alteryx users) can run as seamlessly and with as little interaction as possible. The workflow starts off by connecting to tables within an Oracle Database. Being familiar with the process, I manually select the table to run the workflow on. Co-workers aren't going to know how to do this and so I've been experimenting with the interface tools. Specifically, connecting a Text Box Interface tool to the In-DB tool. The way I'm envisioning it is the person running the app would be prompted to enter the table name into the text box. I've attached a screenshot to help visualize what I'm talking about. 

So, looking at the screenshot, the In-DB tool is connected to a table named XXXXXXXXXX.RPT_SVOD_1466_MVG_FINAL. In the Text Box prompt on the left, I'm envisioning the end-user being able to manually update the table they want to connect to. In this particular case, it would be a matter of replacing SVOD_1466 with TRVLP_1486 and having the In-DB Select query update with that table. I'm not getting the result I was intending so thought I'd post this while I continue to figure out. Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated. 

Just as an FYI, I'm running Alteryx Designer v11.8 x64. 

Thanks,

Dave

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
It's going to be quite hard to debug without the workflow.

Perhaps you could share screen shows regarding the configuration of the action tool?

Ben
dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Thanks Ben and apologize for not providing the workflow. Just don't want to violate any company privacy concerns. However, please find a screenshot of the action tool attached. As a hypothetical, let's assume the In-DB is connected to a table named XXXXXXXXXX_RPT_SVOD_1466_MVG_FINAL. Now, an end user wants to run the app for XXXXXXXXXX_RPT_TRVLP_1468_MVG_FINAL. What I'm envisioning is the end-user runs the app, is prompted (via Text Box) to update the table name (TRVLP_1468) in this example, and the In-DB connection "reacts" accordingly. The In-DB connection tool isn't updating accordingly when I attempt to run the app. Wishful thinking on my part to expect it to but not sure what direction to go. Hope this makes sense and thanks again!

Dave

ramatp30
7 - Meteor

HI @dgr2017

I hope you have mentioned the specific stirng to be updated in Action Tool.

If not please select the tablename part from Query to be replaced.Attached screenshot for reference.

Let us know if that resolves issue.

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Thanks @ramatp30. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. Something appears to be wrong prior to even trying to replace the table name. If you look at the attached screenshots, when I run the app, I'm specifying the table the In-DB tool is already connected to. If you look at the last screenshot (4-App Results window.png), you'll see there are no results. I can run the workflow and get results but nothing happens when I run the app. I think I need to resolve this before exploring how to replace table names. Hopefully this makes sense but let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks again!

Dave

ramatp30
7 - Meteor

Hi @dgr2017

Sorry if I am wrong I dint see any output tool in pictures you have attached.

You can just give a try with similar workflow attached to see correct table data selected and written to a file

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Amen, the app is doing what I intended! I wasn't including the Data Stream Out and Output data tools. I mistakenly expected the results to populate in the Browse In-DB tool.  Thanks again for helping me resolve this!

Labels