Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using Spatial Objects to create a custom map.

Tybo
7 - Meteor

I'm exploring if I can use the spatial objects tools to create a layout of my machine shop and then use transaction data to show how much material is at what work center. As you can see in the picture I've laid out a template of machines (squares) and then joined it with the data at the machine (items with diamond). Is there a way to add details to the spatial objects, like descriptions and details like qty, age, job#'s? I can't seem to find a way to add words to the "Map". Thanks for any ideas/help.

Tybo_0-1654112282136.png

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Tybo I think the report map tool would be helpful for your use case

binuacs_0-1654117147646.png

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Tybo!

I second @binuacs suggestion of the Report Map tool. There actually are a lot of formatting and labeling options because you can build layers.

Just wanted to comment that this is such a cool and creative use case! I do something similar with Tableau for workstations, but I never considered doing it with Alteryx. I am inspired! Thank you!

Tybo
7 - Meteor

@ddiesel I'm glad I've inspired you!

My manager is in the process of getting Tableau so if I can't get this to work effectively that will be our backup plan.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This is a really interesting use case. Are you implementing KANBAN for supply tracking?

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Tybo
7 - Meteor

@Hollingsworth Hi John, We have abandoned the "LEAN KANBAN" for a system driven Min/Max method as the "human" aspect of running a Kanban proved to be very difficult to accomplish. This use case will not be for a KANBAN system but rather a visual way to inform our machine shop planners what work may be stagnated at each work center, track progress from operation to operation and to help level load the machines. I still have not been able to accomplish this in an effective way as the tools do not quite work the way I'd like (Labeling and adding data to the labels is a bit tricky if even possible). I've since given up because the time I'm spending on this out weighs the benefit because I've already created a very useful report that does this but without the visual layout.

Labels