Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Render and output file tool to same excel workbook

jchan58
8 - Asteroid
Am getting excel error when I try to open the output file generated by both render and excel output file, saying its corrupted and repaired.

The output file consists 2 worksheets, one of the worksheet using output file tool has large data set (30 columns x 300k rows), the other sheet with small data set is output from Render tool.

I could have used render tool for both sheets, but file size will be enormous.

I try to use parallel block until done to ensure both sheets wont override at the same time.

Weird the workflow complete with no issue but Getting that excel error message. The output file is showing empty data for one of the worksheet. Anyone encounter something similar?
47 REPLIES 47
Ignacio12
5 - Atom

I´m having exactly the same issue. Have you been able to fix it?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Do you have a workflow that you can share so that I can take a look?

RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

You have to first create the tab with your render tool and then overwrite it with the output tool. If you don't have the tab in the target excel file once the render tool is done, creating a new tab in your excel file creates the error.

Hence: Create your all of your output with the render tool and then overwrite the tabs you do not want to have using the render tool's format.

huss0043
5 - Atom

DavidP, I am a new guy here on Alteryx and you sir are a genius. Easy solution. A lot of other complicated solutions suggested by the Community. Thanks bossman.

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hello David ,

I tried to replicate the way you mentioned. But for me the render output is generated and output tool data in next sheet is empty . 

And whenever i open the excel file it is getting auto repaired. 

Thanks.

pbobys
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi DavidP - I'm trying to use your solution but with a chart instead of a table and I'm getting an Excel error and the Output doesn't show up on the second sheet.  Any ideas why this doesn't seem to like rendering a chart to Excel??  

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pbobys ,

DavidP's solution is not work for me.

I think @RHehlmann 's solution will work well.

I make sample workflow.

I add the dummy layout into rendering data stream. So two sheet is written by Rendering tool.

After that, output tool overwrite sheet2 into that file by Rendering tool.

クリップボード一時ファイル06.png

pbobys
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @AkimasaKajitani!  That works for a single workbook really nicely.  I'm having some trouble when I try to incorporate grouping into multiple files using the filename as the grouping value - the Render works well but when I try to include the second part (the spreadsheet) it just keeps running and running.  Do you know if there's anything in particular that would have to be configured to make this work across multiple files?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pbobys 

Sorry for the late reply - I made a slight modification in your workflow: In the Union tool, I changed the config to Auto Configure by position.

Does this do what you're looking for?

pbobys
Alteryx
Alteryx

@DavidP  - yes that works!  Thank you 🙂

I'm also wondering if there's an easy way to create multiple files based on a group-by value in the data.  If I change the input data to include a grouping column, I'm getting the same Excel error that I did before and I'm not quite sure how to set the configurations correctly.  I modified it slightly (made it a bit simpler) and tried to get the groupings set up correctly but it's not quite right.

Labels