Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Regex to extract a specific string from a column and placing it another column

ahsansalik
8 - Asteroid

Hi I have this type of data can post the original due to sensitivity. As you can see there is this ID in random places in data 2ABC-20-06-XXX-026 all IDs are of same number of 18 Characters and all have XXX in common but there position in the text is different as can be seen below in the Input column. I want the ID extracted and placed in output column as can be seen!! Please need help as i am a newbie to regex

Input Output
This is 2ABC-20-06-XXX-026 and it is 262ABC-20-06-XXX-026
Can I be 2ABC-20-06-XXX-027 what can I be 
Are you sure 2ABC-20-06-XXX-028 can it be true 
how doubt full ssss deec eljjdjdjd 2ABC-20-06-XXX-029 
Wwyy abdhkjkjkdjkfj 2ABC-20-06-XXX-030 cjdnknskk shdjdhdu 
2ABC-20-06-XXX-678 as it can be airport 
8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

is XXX always numbers or can it be letters?

regex_replace([Input ],".*(2ABC-20-06-\w{3}-\d{3}).*","$1") would work for either letters or numbers.

regex_replace([Input ],".*(2ABC-20-06-[a-zA-Z]{3}-\d{3}).*","$1") - looks for 3 letters.

edited both to allow for different trailing identifiers.

ahsansalik
8 - Asteroid

XXX is actually alphabets and always XXX in each ID

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @ahsansalik 

if the position of the hyphen "-" is fixed, you can do something like this. I am assuming that the actual alphanumeric values between the hypens can vary.

Parsestring.PNG

Cheers,
Dawn

MatthiasSeil
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It looks to me that the XXX is always after 11 (random) places and before 4 random places, right?

A random character is represented by a . in RegEx. Thus my simplest parsing approach which is quite comprehensive for newbies would be:

(...........XXX....)

MatthiasSeil_0-1625061934051.png

MatthiasSeil
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Or if only the last places change in the ID, it'll be parsing:
(2ABC-20-06-XXX....)

Please mark it as a solution if that answers the question - it helps Alteryx and other members to distinguish between solved and unsolved topics.

Thanks

Matthias

ahsansalik
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all i was just testing the solutions in order to verify the output ... Thank you all solutions work like a Gem... really grateful

ahsansalik
8 - Asteroid

Thanks man it works perfectly

ahsansalik
8 - Asteroid

Dawn can you please share your work flow

Labels