Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Regex_Match in Interface Error Message Tool

jamesdrab
6 - Meteoroid

I have a question in my app that requires the user to enter a name.  The name should consist of only lower-case letters, numbers or an underscore between words.  I am trying to use the Regex_Match function in the Error Message tool to warn the user when the name contains characters that are not lower-case letters, numbers or underscores.  Right now I have this:

Regex_Match([#1], '[^a-z0-9_]')

but it isn't working.  

Also, what is the iCase parameter within the Regex_Match function?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jamesdrab 

The default is ignore the Case Sensitivity.

To add case sensitivity you need to add a 0 at the end of the expression.

Something like Regex_Match([#1], '[^a-z0-9_]', 0)

But that shouldn't be what you're looking for.

You should actually look for something like this

!Regex_Match([#1], '[a-z0-9_]+', 0)

The exclamation sign before is something like "NOT". So, if something doesn't match your pattern, it should error out.

Cheers,

jamesdrab
6 - Meteoroid

Thank, that worked.  I thought that the '^' inside the brackets usually means 'Not' in regex, is there a reason it doesn't work in this case?

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jamesdrab 

The thing is that the REGEX_MATCH function sees the string as whole.

So, for the expression to be true, all characters in your pattern must match.

First of all, your expression was just looking at a single character. It didn't have any quantifier like + or * to add multiple occurences of that pattern.

Something like this - 

Regex_Match([#1], '[^a-z0-9_]+')

wouldn't work because it would look for an expression made JUST by non lowercased characters, non-numbers and underscores.

This for example -  aaaAbbb999 -  wouldn't be captured as an error, cause it has lowercased characters and numbers, despite having a single uppercased character.

Cheers,

Labels