Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using RegEx to parse numbers out of square [ ] brackets

amparaj
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I've had no luck in using this tool and resorted to using a set of other tools (text to columns etc.) to get the job done.

I basically have a description column as follows:

Apple [1234]

Barking Dog [2134]

Grumpy Cat [981901]

I simply need to parse out the numbers in those brackets to generate a new column/field with ID.

5 REPLIES 5
Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@amparaj

Learning Regular Expressions can be tough to get at first.  I believe there is a lesson in the Academy you might want to check out.

This is what I used and it worked nicely:

.+\s\[(\d+)\]

Let me explain each piece.

When I use the RegEx tool for parsing, I like to outline the entire pattern of the data and then put parentheses around the parts I want to parse out.

So, I start with any character 1 or more times .+

then i noticed the words always have  space between the last word and the square bracket.  A space is represented by \s

Then I add the square bracket...but because the square bracket is a reserved character (it is used for other things), you need to put an escape character \ in front of it: \[

Then I put an open paren and close paren around the piece I want to parse out.  to parse numbers, you put \d+ which stands or any digit one or more times.

And then I put the closing square bracket but remembering to put the escape character in front of it: \]

I have attached the workflow.  Hope that makes sense.

amparaj
5 - Atom

Thanks, those descriptions are very useful.

If I have a combination of numbers and text within the square brackets, using the \d+ didn't parse, obviously.. a combination of numbers and text (e..g. AB101, 101AB) is proving to be tricky.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@amparaj,

The following should solve this for you too:

regex_replace([Field1],".*\[(.*)\].*",'$1')

Anything ... up to the LAST " [ " bracket found is SKIPPED.

This begins a GROUP #1.

Group 1 is everything up to the LAST " ] " bracket.

Everything else (if any) is SKIPPED.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Since the workflow I sent uses the RegEx tool, you can use Mark's advice below and just change the digits (\d) to any character (.)

So this will work:  .*\s\[(.*)\].*

the \s is not necessary since it is actually captured in the .*

Maureen

Suhailpasha
5 - Atom

Thankyou, works like a charm!

Labels