Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Linear Regression - running all independent variables.

HenryE
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to investigate the relationship between an independent variable and about 90 dependent variables using linear regresssion. What  I have done in the past is to run one independent ( or a few) against the dependent variable, determine the relationship, then keep adding independent variables one after another and running it till I get to the final independent variables having a significant effect on the dependent variable. 

The problem with this is that, this is very time consuming. I was made aware that there is a way to run all the independent variables at once and Alteryx will find the optimal significant independent variables. 

Could somebody let me know how to go about this. 

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

I believe what you are looking for is the 'Association Analysis Tool' (link). Within this tool there is a selection that states 'Target a field for more detailed analysis'.  Once this is selected, you can choose a target field which creates correlation between the different variables as well as an interactive correlation plot.

Another possibility would be the 'Spearman correlation Tool' (link).

I have attached a workflow with both tools in use and applied to the UC Irvine mpg data set.

If you are looking for determining 'real importance' within a linear model by running multiple iterations of the model with variables in different order, then you'll have to write your own implementation in R (which I have an example of as well).  There is a library that already exists that does the heaving lifting for that as well (link).

HenryE
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks. I will give it a go

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

Ok.  Well let me know.

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

Just curious if this answered your question?

HenryE
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Yes it was very helpful. I used the association analysis tool. I went ahead to use the stepwise tool.

Thanks,

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

Would you mind marking my answer as the solution and the problem solved?

Labels