Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Experian Individual level Data & Trade areas

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all:

I have been tasked with trying to understand the demographics (income, gender, age...etc) of people that reside within a certain distance of our store locations. I have defined polygons around our locations however when I use the Calgary join tool it seems the Index field is grayed out - and I cant query the data. 

This does NOT occur when I use the Experian Household file. I can make the selection and the query runs.  

Using Experian Individual FileUsing Experian Individual FileUsing Experian Household FileUsing Experian Household File

I want individual level demographics to have the ability to aggregate up if need be. 

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer....

4 REPLIES 4
LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Experian Individual file is not delivered with a spatial object like the Household file, however, addresses are provided. You can geocode the Individual file then do a spatial match to your polygons. Probably not as efficient as a Calgary join.

A more involved option is creating a link between the Household and Individual files to tap into the HH spatial object then use the Calgary Join. 

JeradR
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jnash Definitely use the Calgary Join method for the fastest processing.  First join via the spatial index within the HH file, then a second Calgary Join tool joining to the Individual file using the HH_ZeroBasedRecordID as the Input field and the index field.  Be sure that your join Action is set up properly: Calgary Join.

CalgaryJoins.png

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your feedback. I was unaware that the household file came with a spatial object unlike the individual file. This method did work but as you pointed out it did take a long time. Another user pointed out to join the individual file on their household ID which was very efficient. Thank you for your assistance and helping me better understand - I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you - worked great and was exactly what I need. I greatly appreciate your insight!

Labels