Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using [Engine.WorkflowDirectory] inside a macro, to get the location of the macro

YEM
8 - Asteroid

The question is on using the [Engine.WorkflowDirectory] “constant” inside a macro.  I would like it to return the directory of the macro, and not the directory of the workflow that called the macro.  Or, I would like a work-around to accomplish the same thing: The macro needs to know where the end-user put the macro. (because I’m packaging dependencies with it, and relative references are not working).

To illustrate the issue, I have created a simplified example.

Download the YXZP, double click to extract / open.

Right click on the marco, select "Open Macro:...". 

Run the macro once.  Inspect the output.

The output is the location of the Macro.  This is what I want!  So far so good!

YEM_0-1587392981149.png

Close the macro.  Now run the yxmd file “Call Example Macro.yxmd”.  Inspect the output coming out of the S anchor:

YEM_1-1587392981154.png

The path shown is the path of the parent workflow calling the macro, not the path of the macro itself.

I’m developing a larger application that depends on knowing where the end user has put the macro.

So finally, my question… How do we develop a macro in which we can reference the macros location inside the macro itself?

If you’re wondering why I need this, it is a much larger conversation.  So, I just wanted to post a boiled down example and see where the conversation goes.

Thanks for your support!

2 REPLIES 2
seven
12 - Quasar

Hi @YEM 

here is a workaround to get the location of the macro.

In Windows, the period (.) signifies the current directory. What is a period in Windows? 

We can use the period in the Directory tool to pull a list of files in the current directory.

image.png

Alteryx will return the full path of the current directory too.

image.png

Then it is trivial to build a macro to output the information.

image.png

We can see the Directory output side by side with the [Engine.WorkflowDirectory]. [Engine.WorkflowDirectory] can be removed in production.

image.png

The macro is lightweight and can be placed into any of your macros.

I added the macro, the test workflow, and a packaged workflow too.

YEM
8 - Asteroid

Exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

Labels