Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Command Prompt to Run Alteryx Workflow

agcruz
7 - Meteor

I am testing out the possibility of using the Command Prompt to run my Alteryx workflows

My first hurdle is to get it to actually run. Every time I run the simple code of "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" MyWorkflow.yxmd I get the following error.

Capture.PNG

Can someone help in explaining the Error - Alteryx Engine: Can't red the file "TESTWORKFLOW.yxmd". It appears that my computer recognizes Alteryx and runs it but then the file doesn't run. I have attached the simple test workflow as well.

16 REPLIES 16
AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

If you send me a private message, I can share my email and I can walk you through what I did. My office does not like us to post code online. 

agcruz
7 - Meteor

@AlteryxUserFL 

I am just following up on your comment about sharing your python code to help in replacing the command prompt.

The code doesn't have to be extensive in terms of detail so feel free to hide sensitive information. I want to give it a look and play with it. I will reach out if I have questions, sounds good?

Here is my email: andres.cruz[at]iriworldwide.com

Thank you for your help!

sergeyzh
5 - Atom

Hi, can you please direct me on how to use Python with Alteryx and Tableau? Currently, we manually open the Alteryx Designer and run workflows. For Tableau, we work with Tableau API using javascript. It would be really nice to learn from your experience how to programmatically run the whole process (from Alteryx workflows to Tableau refresh extracts) with Python. Thanks

Sri9
8 - Asteroid

Can you please show sample how to call workflows using pyautogui?

ACurtis
5 - Atom

I am trying to do the same thing..but with the Task Scheduler..which is the wizard for the Command Prompt. 

What I am hitting is that the program runs and opens the file and then a popup opens that says "what program do you want to use to open this file?" So, for the sake of Command Prompt, it did its job, but there is yet another task to be done in order to get the workflow to open. 

ACurtis_0-1626295154069.png

bharatandalam
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ACurtis 

can you please provide more info, if your goal to execute the workflow then you straight away use the command prompt and provide the workflow location. You can refer my solution

when using the command tool, you should always use a absolute path rather than relative path.

Please use the complete path of the file

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe

or you can provide the working directory and then provide the workflow name

bharatandalam_0-1626320711111.png

michelledomm
5 - Atom

Can I cop your code? @AlteryxUserFL 

Labels