Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Chained App to run multiple workflows

pootowoh
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

So I am working in a BI solution for a client. They want to use Alteryx to clean the data they receive from multiple sources before putting into the system. I have developed several workflows for each input they have (which can be different between them so there is a workflow for each standard and so on). My problem now is that I want to ensure the user never forgets to run one of the workflows, so I was thinking of using Chained Apps to do this, mainly using the Run tool to run each workflow, however each workflow would require the user to choose the inputs, so when the user runs the app I would want him to feed into the workflows the data inputs and where they are located.

Is this something that is possible using the Chained app? How could one do it?

Sorry if it has already  been posted.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think you are overcomplicating this IMO.

Check out the crew macro pack, within this there is the 'list runner tool'. This allows you to set up a single workflow, which you then specify a directory within the list runner tool, and by hitting run in that one workflow, it will execute all the workflows specified in that directory.

Alternatively, there is the 'conditional runner' which may be worth looking at too.

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html

Ben

pootowoh
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Thanks for your response. The issue here is that each workflow needs a different input, would the CReW thing work in this case by any chance?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

If you need direct user input, a chained app is probably the easiest method of accomplishing this.  Bear in mind that there still isn't really anything stopping a user from closing the app/workbook at any step along the way, so this is at best a "reminder", not a requirement.

EDIT: Hit Post too soon!

There is a great "Chained App" guide available here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications/ta-p/7...

Labels