Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Block Until Done with CMD tool

HunterH
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone. I have a quick question with combining the CMD function with Block until done. Below is a picture of a simplified version of what I am trying to do for example purposes. Essentially, output 1 on the "Block Until Done" tool is outputting 'file1.csv'. The CMD tool is calling on a Python script that uses 'file1.csv' in the analysis. Python then creates a new output that the cmd tool reads and brings back into the workflow. So obviously I need the output to be created before the Python script can call on it, but when I attach an input to cmd it wants me to configure the Write Source output, which I do not need for the Python script to run.

Any ideas here? Thanks - Hunter.

HunterH_1-1588883856682.png

4 REPLIES 4
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @HunterH,

why don't you run your Python script in the Python-Tool itself? You wouldn't need to export it to a file and would not need to import it afterwards.

grossal_0-1588910615863.png

Best

Alex

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @HunterH ,

I think, an option would be to create a "dummy output file", e.g. enter "temp.yxdb" as the output file name - the resulting file is not needed, but there is no real drawback of creating it (had a similar situation myself, used anchor 1 to write to an Excel file, anchor 2 to start a VB script using Run Command to execute some file manipulations, the "output file" was also not really needed). 

What do you think?

Best,

Roland 

HunterH
6 - Meteoroid

@grossal I have found the Python tool to be cumbersome and I could never figure out how to get my scripts to run properly. I have some scripts that call on 3 or 4 other scripts that are stored in the same location and I just couldn't manage to get that running properly through the python tool. I havent given up on it, I will keep trying!

HunterH
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Roland Shubert - Thanks for that idea. I was unsure of what the output file section of the tool was doing, so I didn't realize I could just create a dummy file. I will give that a shot. Thank you!

Labels