Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Action Tool to update Input Data Tool

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

I am trying to make an app to change the numbers in the path of my input data. But the file doesn't change when I run the app. Do you have any suggestions?

maurrreen_0-1653421345967.png

12 REPLIES 12
maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Here is the configuration for the action tool.

maurrreen_0-1653421481261.png

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @maurrreen --

In the action tool have you located and selected the line that has the current version number? It should be highlighted and would then be updated accordingly.

Seth

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Yes, Seth, it is highlighted, but it doesn't change. The input is just stuck on the 2204 version.

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Could it be a difference in data types? Is this something you could share so we can look?

Seth

DataNath
17 - Castor

@maurrreen as you're asking the user to supply a value that will replace the '2204' that you used during setup, let's say for example they type in 999...

This will replace all instances of 2204 in the filepath i.e. it will become 999\Output\MT999_AllDistricts_xref.yxdb*

As your files are (I'm guessing) all in that final directory, that means the input tool is then looking in different a folder.

Unless you can perhaps rename the folder named 2204 to a different name then I'd recommend perhaps using a 'File browse' tool to update the input. That way, the user can just navigate to the file they want to use.

DataNath_0-1653422225852.png

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Exactly. I want to change all instances, including the folder. This workflow above is just a test to figure it out.

The actual workflow I want to use this on requires changing the updating the version number in nine tools. I am trying to streamline that.

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Thank you, but I don't think I can do that.

DataNath
17 - Castor

A possible workaround would be to have your dummy filepath in a text tool and have the text box update that, then feed this into a dynamic input tool. Would that work?

DataNath_0-1653424154760.png

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Hmm. I will try that.

Labels