Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using API for output

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hello all,

I'm new on Alteryx and I need assistance to write to a database via an API.

So here is the application. 

I connect to the database and process the data. In the end, I send an email to the user to take action. When I finished all the process, I like to write a note to the database what I did for tracking purposes. 

So far I did many API calls to read the data like;

API URL -- Download -- JSON Parse ----> this is most likely to get the data. The goal is the opposite and to send the data to the database. Due to policy, I'm not allowed to write directly to the database, but via an API.

Does someone suggest how to do this or refer me an example?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @albert_alaluf - you can use the JSON Build tool to build up your JSON and the download tool to send the data to your database. The Download tool is a bit misnamed, it does much more than download information. It can also be used for uploading information via API, webscraping, and more! 

Check out the download tool for documentation on how to use it. 

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hi Blake,

I couldn't figure it out where to put API URL. Let's assume text input is the data, and JSON Build is done. So, where does download toll find URL info?

avialaluf_0-1583355480887.png

Blake
12 - Quasar

You can either use a formula tool to create a string field with your url or you can use another text input to enter your URL and append that to your dataset. Either way will work. 

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Thank you, Blake. All your suggestions helped me to build. And you are very right, DOWNLOAD TOOL is confusing as a name but not as functionality. I'm still at the beginning of the workflow. Because of I have many different records, it looks like I should write a macro to update payload values.

Thanks again

Labels