Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User prompts for selecting multiple files and execute

Redzapplin
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Could it be possible to have a user prompt to select multiple excel files from a folder and execute on need basis? I have attached my workflow. 

BR 

Red

9 REPLIES 9
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Redzapplin 

Can you provide more info on why you need to read multiple files. Are these files in a separate folder.

If yes you can use Folder browse and Directory tool. Do all these files have same schema.

Redzapplin
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 I have a inventory archive where in our stakeholders wish to run specific files when needed, like i have files from inv jan to inv dec, these files input is being changed by the users and then need to be executed selectively based on the business needs.

These files are located at one folder and same schema

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Redzapplin 

Apparently folder browse doesnt work in gallery.

Here is a workaround App.

atcodedog05_0-1603785940800.png

So basically Folder in which file is present is set as the folder path and all files are read from there.

Files:

atcodedog05_1-1603786071585.png

Output:

atcodedog05_2-1603786096217.png

As you can see though i have selected only File A path in the App its reading all the files in the folder.

You might have you train the enduser little bit on it.

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Redzapplin
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @atcodedog05

But that will not help me, the approach is right but I am looking to select multiple files not one file.

Like if we have files from FileA to FIileH and I wish to run specific files like FileA, FileC and FileE. Is there some workaround for this?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Redzapplin 

The one files just giving reference for a folder. Its reading all files from that folder.

I have created a chained app to select only specific files.

Data Folder:

atcodedog05_1-1603788213450.png

App steps

Step -1 : in step-1 you setting a file and its reading all the files in the folder.

atcodedog05_0-1603788163049.png

Step-2 : When you clicking run you will get blank output prompt.

atcodedog05_2-1603788276845.png

Step - 3 : once you click ok it triggers and another app which asks you select filenames you want to keep.

atcodedog05_3-1603788343191.png

Step - 4 : On clicking continue. You get preview of data and filenames.

atcodedog05_4-1603788679358.png

Depending on your requirement you can process your data.

these are the temp files saving the data and supplying to the chained app.

atcodedog05_5-1603788719981.png

This is closest to your requirement. You check on your folder too.

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Redzapplin
8 - Asteroid

You are AWESOME!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @Redzapplin 

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Ragini1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05 ,

Can you please explain the process once again? I am having similar use case