Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User interface input multiple values

SVERHEYDEN
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I can't seem to find a solution anywhere but here's what I'm after

I have ~3 million records in a yxdb table that I've created and now I'm trying to create an app for the business that allows a user to input and return the fields for 1, many, or all primary key values (let's call it item_no). Essentially i need the business to be able to paste in a list of values and return all relevant information from my 3million record table.

I've tried several ways to do this via in statements/filters, creating new data inputs and keep coming up empty. 

Any direction would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance!

5-1-2017 10-35-22 AM.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I know that this is a nasty way round, but you could do this very quickly by letting them put the relevant values in a spreadsheet.   The benefit of this is that time-to-value is pretty much zero (you could do this in seconds)

Cleaner would be to create a simple macro that gives them a plain text input box which they can ; delimit the primary keys, and then pump this out to a YXDB once you've cleaned it up, and then use that to join?

By separating this out into a specific macro, you can do all the error checking and control the complexity possibly a little easier?

rohanonline
10 - Fireball

This should work

Product App.JPG

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @SVERHEYDEN - did either of the replies help?

alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

Hi @SVERHEYDEN,

I would recommend avoiding free text altogether because users can introduce errors. There is a neat way of creating a list of the values that are found within a field and allowing the user to select from those described in option 2 in the following knowledge article: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Dynamically-Create-List-Box-Values-From-Inpu...

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Sasha

SVERHEYDEN
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Sean!

Now I'll just add another another detour that allows the user to input a file and we're there!

NurulAzfarAli
5 - Atom
Hi, was wondering if I could add a 3rd radio button for a file selection option?
SVERHEYDEN
6 - Meteoroid

Hi. Here is what my workflow/app ended up as

The part that wasn't very intuitive was that I needed a placeholder file just to get it to work. Maybe there's an easier way but it worked for meworkflow.png

NurulAzfarAli
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot. It helped

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Hi rohanonline,

I recreated your worflow, but instead of having that Browse tool, I put an output tool since i would ultimately like it to render to a nice formatted table... However, when I do that, it only outputs the first record I entered. Even if I use the semicolon to separate my records, it only outputs the first record... I modified your workflow by replacing the browse tool with an output tool, and it looks like you run into the same issue. Any idea how to fix that so I can output to an excel file with the multiple records that my user specifies?

Labels