Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User Prompt for Data Filtering

MJ54
7 - Meteor
Hi All! I am looking to create a workflow that asks users which months of data they would like to focus on. For context, I have an input file that has a column which displays dates in US format (m/dd/yyyy). I would ideally like to ask the user to select a month OR months from a dropdown, and then this column mentioned above would then be filtered on the dates within the months that the user selected. Any idea how I can achieve this?
6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MJ54 ,

You need to build an Analytics App using the date picket connected to a filter via the Action tool.

You can find the Interactive Lessons for creating these apps HERE.

I hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

MJ54
7 - Meteor
The lessons seem to only contain very simplified examples and I am not sure how I can expand on those. For an example, they only teach you how to make a drop down with one criteria selected, but I would need up to 4 criteria selected. Can you point me in the right direction to something more relevant to my inquiry?
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MJ54 ,

if you provide some mock data I can build it for you and show you how it's done.

M.

Bulien

MJ54
7 - Meteor
For some reason, I am not able to attach anything. I'll describe my current workflow as best as I can: Right now, I have two Date Interfaces (1 for Start Date and 1 for End Date). Both are connected to separate Action Interfaces that feed into a filter button. I have a field in the source data (Column A for the purposes of this exercise) that just contains random dates all the way back to 2019 in m/dd/yyyy format. Basically I want the user to select a start date and an end date, and then Column A would contain all of the dates between the ones selected by the user.
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MJ54 ,

I've built a basic app showing how you can have multi-class drop-downs and a selector each for start and end date:

mceleavey_0-1623782411102.png

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

MJ54
7 - Meteor
Hi! Thank you very much for that. I didn't realize you can connect your date interfaces directly to the filter function. This worked perfectly!
Labels