Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User Input as Variable, which is like filter in a column and use these variable in formula

yaminibhola
6 - Meteoroid

I need help on my workflow, where table has following columns:

TypeDate
A3/31/2018
B3/31/2018
C4/30/2019
A2/28/2019
B12/31/2018
C12/31/2019

User needs to choose or input two dates for example 12-31-2018 and 12-31-2019 and view the comparison between "Type" on these two dates.

Please let me know if you can help with this.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Assuming that you already have a workflow built out, you can add interface tools as shown below which allow for an end user to pick the dates which will filter the data that is passed through. If you have not yet built an analytic app before it would be helpful to view a training video. Does your company currently have Alteryx Server? In order to deploy this app to other users in a web interface you will need Alteryx Server to do so. 

interface filter.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is a training video on turning an Alteryx workflow into an Analytic App: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Introduction-to-Applications/td-p/45406

yaminibhola
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the help here.However I am not getting update value in between,do you know why?

yaminibhola_0-1596738097659.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

As shown in @BrandonB's example, from your date selectors, drag from the Q to the lightening bolt on the filter tool (instead of the Q) - this will automatically insert an Action tool where you can select Update Value.

yaminibhola
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks I did, still getting

yaminibhola_0-1596770362194.png

yaminibhola
6 - Meteoroid

I was able to resolve this.Thanks all for helping.

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Really appreciate if you could share the solution please

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hemant86 

The action tools are ultimately used to update part of or an entire expression. Whatever tool they are connected to, you will want to make sure that the values passed in are updating the corresponding components of the expression. 

Labels