Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User Dynamic Reorder Columns

jessebrand
5 - Atom

I have a report with many fields / columns that output to an Excel sheet. Prior to running the report, I want to enable the users to choose which order they want the fields / columns within the designer interface. 

I'm already using the select tool, with the list box & action tools, to enable users to select which fields they want outputted in the Excel file, but this option does not allow them to choose the order. Having a pre-set order does not fit the needs, as each user will need a different order. 

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

7 REPLIES 7
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

macro input with field mapping?

Have you looked at this thread and the solution/macros by @patrick_digan

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Basic-Table-Tool-Changing-the-order-of...

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jessebrand ,

I'm not aware of a simple solution there and the solution I'm going to propose is not a pretty one.

You would need to use a chained app, where the user select the fields first and the next app would show the following:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

You will need to have a drop down tool for each possible column (which means 100 drop-downs if 100 possible columns - that's why, not pretty) and leave as 'none' if not needed as image below.

fmvizcaino_0-1617745772966.png

Your action tool would be configured to update raw xml

fmvizcaino_1-1617746037477.png

And you would need to update the raw xml of the select tool, that looks like this:

fmvizcaino_2-1617746091137.png

And the idea here is for you to reorder the selectfield somehow with each drop down tools available there.

It is possible but it would request a lot of effort to make it happen.

Another quick but not ideal way is for you to request the user to upload a template with the header and then use it to order your dataset.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Stick with the macro input/field mapping and only allow the user to re-order fields of the same type?

jessebrand
5 - Atom

@apathetichell Thank you for sharing that thread. It's an interesting option, but does not solve the ask. The Alteryx report I'm working on will be published to a private Alteryx web server. Similar to allowing the users to input a date from & to, the report should allow the users to choose the order of their fields / columns in the same interface that they would input their desired date ranges and other parameters.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Is it possible to get some generalized data and more concrete examples of the things you want?

jessebrand
5 - Atom

@fmvizcaino Thank you! I hope the Alteryx development team adds a tool to make this more simplistic, but it sounds like this approach will work well for the users' needs. I think I'll be able to create what you have below, but would you be willing to share an example workflow as a reference?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jessebrand ,

Here is a example of reordering your data, it was a bit simpler than I thought it would be.

Keep in mind that you need to use chained apps to dynamically generate the drop down list and the input file.

fmvizcaino_0-1617755507957.png

I agree with you that it would be great to have a simple way of doing this, for that, I suggest you to post an idea here: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels