Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use very large numbers within Alteryx

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I did some calculations based on the 'chessboard-wheat' problem.

Here an extract out of Wikipedia:

The wheat and chessboard problem (sometimes expressed in terms of rice grains) is a mathematical problem expressed in textual form as:

If a chessboard were to have wheat placed upon each square such that one grain were placed on the first square, two on the second, four on the third, and so on (doubling the number of grains on each subsequent square), how many grains of wheat would be on the chessboard at the finish?

The problem may be solved using simple addition. With 64 squares on a chessboard, if the number of grains doubles on successive squares, then the sum of grains on all 64 squares is: 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... and so forth for the 64 squares. The total number of grains equals 18,446,744,073,709,551,615, much higher than what most intuitively expect.

When I run my workflow, everything is fine until field 63. On the last field, the number seem to be too big and cannot displayed properly (becoming a negative number).

What is the limitation for numbers in Alteryx? Is there any workaround?

10 REPLIES 10
FlorianH
7 - Meteor

@chrishopwood  here is the workflow.

I really hope, that it will help you.

Thanks a lot and greetings

Labels