Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use variable to generate data

Yury_Brunt
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Please see my example attached. I need to generate some sample data for simulation purposes.

With the multi row tool ID's are added to the data (see comment in workflow), this is bases on a fixed number of rows, the next step is to group them

I need the number of row's to be variable. Let's say between 1 and 10. 

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,

Yury

7 REPLIES 7
danrh
13 - Pulsar

Something like the attached?  Each time this is run, it will produce a random number from 1 to 10, and the grouping will be based on that value.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Yury_Brunt

In a Formula tool I used the RandInt( function to produce a random group size, then generated rows for each group. This is highly likely to produce a list of group assignments larger than the records, but I just used a position-based Join to used the necessary group assignments back to the original.

Solution attached.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

EDIT: Removed.

Yury_Brunt
7 - Meteor

Thanks @CharlieS, nice solution think this can do the trick.

Yury_Brunt
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Quasar, but i needed the individual groups to be variable from size.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Ah, I gotcha.  I thought you were saying a random size of group, but each group the same size.

For the sake of giving multiple options, so here's another solution to go along with @CharlieS's.  Wanted to see if I could get it all in a single stream :)

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Very nice solution, @danrh

Labels