Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use text box and action tool (update value) to query for several customer numbers.

PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I want to use the text box tool and the action tool (update value) to input several customer numbers into rows in a text input tool that goes into a dynamic input tool that updates an SQL where query. I can currently only get this to work with a singel customer numbe at a time. How can I make it work with several customer numbers? I am currently using Alteryx Designer 10.7 to create this application.

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @PeterPetersen

What I would suggest you do for something like this is keep your text box tool, but request that users create a comma separated list.

You can then use this to update a value in a text input, before using a text to columns tool, in split to rows mode, to parse this list and perform a join against your data.

This is how I have always approached scenarios where I have needed the functionality you desire.

If you need further guidance let me know, perhaps an image of your workflow will allow us to understand how to implement this better.

Ben

PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

This worked. Thank you Ben! :)

asifk
8 - Asteroid

Hi

Another solution if you would like to use multiple values without the comma, is to use a text to column and the delimiter will be \n

and select option "Rows"

Also Select "multiline" on text Box tool

this will place your data on each row depending on the number of entries youve entered

This should work!

Spower
6 - Meteoroid

@PeterPetersen  Would it be possible for you to post this workflow if you still have it?

I am trying to basically do the exact same thing but I am using a list box tool to then update a cell in the text box which then passes through the dynamic input and changes the where clause in the SQL query.

I may have made it more complicated than need be. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Labels