Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use output filename to other part of the workflow

Amish-USCensus
5 - Atom

Hello there,

My workflow reads a large datafile and carries out couple of distinct analysis in parallel.

1. Create calculations and write it into an excel file using Output tool.

2. Does some other analysis and prepares a html output file 

At the end, I like to have an email which has path and names of both the output files from above steps. 

Please advise.

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Amish-USCensus ,

Please check out the posts below. They have solutions with regards to how you can attach/use files generated by the output tool in an email.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-attach-an-Excel-file-to-an-Emai...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Sending-email-with-attachments-generated...

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Amish-USCensus ,

use the formula tool to create the filenames:

mceleavey_0-1650390367924.png

This generates a dynamic name for the file each day (for example).

You can then output the file using the output tool:

mceleavey_1-1650390590233.png

This uses your dynamic Fullpath field to overwrite the hardcoded path and filename at the top.

You can then use the path(s) you have created in the email tool to pick up the attachments from the saved location:

mceleavey_2-1650390745315.png

This will make the file dynamic.

You may need to use a Block Until Done tool with the first output going to the output tool, and the second going to the email tool, as Alteryx may still be writing to the file.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Amish-USCensus
5 - Atom

Thanks Mceleavey for providing a solution.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif

Bulien

Labels