Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use one File Browse to input 2 sheets from the same Excel file!

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

I was wondering if there is a way to use only one File Browse in an Alteryx app, and use that to update two different input tools with two different sheets? I am using multiple sheets from one input file and I don't want the user to select the sheets individually with different File browse options. The schema in each sheet is different. I don't want to combine them either. I only want to reduce the number of File browse tools used. Any solution? 

9 REPLIES 9
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Paulomi ,

I built some tools to do exactly this.

I've attached an example workflow.

The first tool loads in all sheet names from all workbooks in the folder location you have determined in the very first tool ( the Directory tool).

You can then filter the sheets you want.

These are then loaded into the second tool which loads all the data in from an unlimited number of workbooks and and an unlimited number of sheets simultaneously.

I hope this helps.

M.

ps - If your version of Alteryx is too old, open the file in Wordpad and amend the version number to match your version number.

Bulien

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey I'm not entirely sure of how this works here. But my idea is to take in a file path using file browse, and use that path with 2 different (static) sheet names on two inputs. But I do not require the sheets to be union-ed together. Also, the individual sheets do not have the same schema. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Paulomi ,

I understand. See attached.

I've built the app using the file browse tools. Currently the end of the workflow pops up the two browse tools. You can change this in the Interface Designer if required.

mceleavey_0-1623421593204.png

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey But this uses 2 different file browse tools, right? My objective is to use the same file browse tool for 3 different input tools (same file, 3 different sheets). In other words, reduce three file browse tools to one tool.

I mean, I know this is getting confusing, but thank you for your help! 🙂

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Paulomi ,

no problem 🙂

No, that's not possible.

M

Bulien

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

I was able to resolve this myself eventually. All I had to do was take in a file browse and configure the action tool to only replace the file path (and not the sheet name) and take in only list of sheets, followed by a dynamic input to read the individual sheets. As a result, the user only needs to select the file path and not sheet name in the File browse! 

MistyClark05
7 - Meteor

I am trying to accomplish the same thing. Could you screenshot the configuration on the File browse/action tool and the dynamic input tool? 

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@MistyClark05 These are the steps to follow: 

1) File browse to take in the input file 

2) User to select 'List of sheet names' only

3) Read in the file with an Input data tool that says 'Full Path' - As a result, you have a list of sheet names

4) Use a Filter tool to get the appropriate sheet name

5) Use a dynamic input tool to read in the data

Do let me know if this helps or if you need me to explain anything else. 🙂

renanandrade
5 - Atom

sorry but can you share a workflow or screenshot? I'm also  stuck in the same problem! thanks for any help

Labels