Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use of Dynamic Input

Hans020
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have the following problem, and since I'm new to Alteryx I was hoping to get some advice.

• In a directory, we have some comma separated files (extensions .dat and .csv).
  • Files have different layouts, so not all files have same number of columns / column names.
  • Some files are Unix type files (record delimiter = CR), some files are DOS type (record delimiter = CR / LF).

We also have an Excel file that contains some basic metadata on the files:

FilenameHeader
File_A.datcol1,col2,col3
File_B.csv

colA,colB,colC,colD

The idea is to follow these steps:

• Use Input to read filename + expected header from Excel
  • Feed filename to Dynamic Input and read only 1 row (containing the header data)
  • Compare the actual header record with the expected header

However, the Dynamic input requires an Input Data Source Template. How do i configure this to cope with both Unix and DOS type files?

Basically, from each file, we only want the first record. Record length is variable.

Any guidance, thoughts, or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Hans

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It might be easier to use a macro like the one here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Input-Batch-Macro-AKA-the-Extra-Dynami... 

By using a macro like this, you don't need a template. It leverages a control parameter to pull a list of files and stacks based on common headers. Given that you want to read in the header data, you will need to set the input data tool inside of the macro so the box is checked for "First Row Contains Data". Then you can use a sample tool where you pick the first row and check the box to group by file path. This will give you the header rows for each file that has been read in. 

Hans020
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your input. I installed the macro and made the proposed modification ( "First Row Contains Data").  

The output of the Input Batch is indeed showing the header for each selected file. However, it's in this format:

FilenameField_1Field_2Field_3Field_4Field_n
File_A.csvcol1col2col3nullnull
File_B.csvcol1col2col3col4null
File_C.csvcol1col2nullnull

null

I'm looking for something like this: 

Filenameheader
File_A.csvcol1,col2,col3
File_B.csvcol1,col2,col3,col4
File_C.csvcol1,col2

Is there a way to concatenate a (variable)  number of columns into 1 comma delimited string?

Hans

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Hans020 

In your batch macro, update the Input tool's configuration with the delimiter set to "\0" which signifies no delimter. You'll also want to update the field length to something larger than the default 254. I usually just add some 0's, but adjust to whatever works for your use case.

image.png

Hope this helps!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Great suggestion Jimmy! I was going to talk through a transpose, filter out null, then cross tab back with concatenate as the aggregation but reading the fields in without the delimiter in the first place is perfect!
Hans020
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

While experimenting, I discovered basically what you are suggesting Brandon: see screenshot.

I will look into the other suggestion, might be bit easier.

Thanks,

Hans

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Yep! Summarize at the end would work for this purpose as well as you have found. The other suggestion is even a bit better because it reads the file in without delimiters and therefore all of the fields will be comma separated from the beginning.
Labels