Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use of Cache Dataset V2 macro

sagarb
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have used Cache Dataset V2 macro for the first time and I am not sure if I am missing something out. I have implemented everything that's written in this article by @MacRo http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Cache-Dataset-Macro/ba-p/3162. As you can see the in the image below, when I click on the 'Select' tool, columns don't show up. There are more than 30 columns in my dataset. When I run it again, they show up but there is no consistency. I am not sure what's going on. Can anyone help with this? Thank you.

img2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Tagging @MacRo

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
MacRo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @sagarb, unfortunately this is a known bug that has not yet been resolved. My recommendation would be to use the original Cache Dataset macro (available for download on the Gallery here). It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Cache Dataset V2, but it does exactly what you are looking for (field metadata consistently passing through to downstream tools) and is very reliable. I'm sorry V2 didn't work out for you, but hope this helps!

Carto
5 - Atom

Has there been any progress on resolving this bug?

slarosa_az
6 - Meteoroid

Still no update? I'm surprised

BMB13
6 - Meteoroid

Has there been any update on this? Or do I need to go back to v1? Thanks!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BMB13 @Carto @slarosa_az I tried reaching out to @MacRo but he hasn't responded yet. Here is my fix:

The issue is when a tool inside a disabled container is connected to a macro. This goofs up the metadata. This is usually how the cache macro is setup when you're using read mode. I've submitted it to Alteryx via their support channels, but I'm not sure that anything will come of it. 

For version 1, you would just have to delete the incoming connection to macro and the metadata was again working for me. 

For version 2, you would still need to delete the incoming connection; however, you need to make one small change to the macro, and I would recommend a second change. Insert the macro onto the canvas of a workflow. Right click the macro and click open macro. Go to the properties section (wrench icon) of the interface designer (View >>> Interface Designer). Check the box that says output fields change. Save the macro. This will assist with metadata issues.

Capture.PNG

If you ever use the advanced option about suppressing the read mode notification error, my recommended change would be to make the macro input optional by checking the optional box.

Capture2.PNG

Hope that helps!

Labels