Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use column header as value in another column

jaideep9
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I have 100+ columns with values 0,1 or null. I want to create a new column with values same as column headers of those 100+ columns if they have value == 1.

I know this can be done using formula tool with IF condition, but i have 100+ columns here. Any idea what should be the best bet?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jaideep9 ,

You can use a transpose tool to convert those 100 columns into rows. In the output tool of the transpose tool, you will get one column called name (which contains all your column headers), one column called Value (which contains the values for those column headers) and then any other columns you have grouped by.

The, since you only care about column headers that have a value of 1, you can use a filter tool to filter the column Value=1. Finally, with a summarize tool you can group by the column [Name], and that will return you the distinct column headers that have a value of 1 in your dataset.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

one quick addendum to what @AngelosPachis wrote -

when your columns are transposed into rows the resulting entries (in the [name] fields) are strings - so the 1 would actually be "1" -  to convert them back to numbers you can use a select, or a multi-field formula.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jaideep9 

Just an illustration of idea from @AngelosPachis  and @apathetichell 

0417-jaideep9.PNG

jaideep9
5 - Atom

Spot on! @AngelosPachis

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

To include a column in the list of column names, does every single value in  column need to equal 1?

Do you want to include the column name if a single value is not equal to 1?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jaideep9 

Thank you for the accept mark 😁

Labels