Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use Run Command tool to call outside application to decrypt a PGP file

pmarzano
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Use a Text Input tool to move an encrypted PGP file from an FTP site to local machine. (I figured this part out)
  2. Use the Run Command tool to call an outside application to decrypt the PGP file and save it to local machine.

The problem I'm having is the Run Command tool will not recognize the PGP file. I'm not asking Alteryx to do anything with the PGP file; I only want it to recognize the file in the Run Command tool so I can point the outside application to it and decrypt it. 

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@pmarzano have you tried bringing the file as a .csv with \0 delimiter? Alteryx is not going to be able to read the encrypted file, but you can use the run command tool to create a script. Are you able to share a sample workflow as well?

Digan
Alteryx
pmarzano
6 - Meteoroid

@DiganP That worked! I'm not sure why it worked, though. Can you explain a little further if you have a moment?

Thank you! This just made my life a lot less stressful. 

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@pmarzano By default, the input tool is going to try to parse the dataset based on a delimiter or the file type. Usually, this is a tab (\t), comma (,) or space (\s). For some files, this is not going to work (PGP file in this instance). So if you just bring in the file (any file) as a .csv with \0 delimiter it will bring the 'raw' format. Hope this helps 🙂

Digan
Alteryx
pmarzano
6 - Meteoroid

I truly appreciate all of your help. Thanks again!

jmandalia
5 - Atom

hi @pmarzano 

We have a similar requirement of decrypting a PGP file and import the data in DB.

Any help to achieve this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Jatin 

Mahadeva
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have similar requirement of decrypting a PGP file and reading the data.

Any help or supporting links would be appreciated.

Labels