Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use Interface 'Error Message' tool to trigger error when match with existing list?

Hyng
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there, 

I have created some app workflow and would like to use 'Error Message' interface tool to trigger an error when the selected product from the dropdown tool matches the existing product list? Error message pop up and ask user to reselect.

Is this possible?

Hyng_0-1597140228157.png

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

I am not sure if this is what you need but I would explore the message tool.

If I remember correctly there should be a functionality that will help you.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer/Tool-Mastery-Message/ta-p/36308

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Error Message tool can accept multiple inputs, which you could use to check for duplicates, but that depends on how you determine if a product is existing. 

The dropdown selects a product, how about making only existing products selectable from that dropdown? What's the source of the dropdown options, and what about data on what is an existing product?

Hyng
6 - Meteoroid

To determine if a product is existing or notI wish to use a list to crosscheck if the product is existing or not, it can be in xlsx or yxdb or any that suit.

The dropdown selects a product, how about making only existing products selectable from that dropdown? The dropdown selection will be full product list from all company, but the selection needs to avoid the product that is selected for a specific company (Again, is a dropdown interface to make a company selection)

What's the source of the dropdown options, and what about data on what is an existing product? If I were to do this, my workflow will become much more complicated with chain apps. trying to check if any alternative before I go there. 😞

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I guess what I'm heading towards is that to avoid a chained app, you would need both tables (all product list, and existing product list) in a database that the dropdown tool can query. This would be the "External Source" option in the drop down configuration, then in there you could set up a query that joins those two tables (all and existing products) and returns the NAME:VALUE pairs that the drop down tool is looking for. 

Otherwise if you're working with files, then a chained app is the way to go. 

Hyng
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Emil_Kos , 

Thanks for the info, it works if we condition it upfront! But it will stop the entire workflow if return error, unlike 'Error Message' tool it allows to reselect in apps. Both tools with pros & cons. 

Message Tool.jpg

@CharlieS , 

Do you mean 'Error Message' can accept multiple inputs? But there is no input anchor with it. It can only connect to 'Question' from apps interface tool.

In the meanwhile, I will go with your 2nd approach. but would like to hear back on the 'Error Message' if there is something I could do with it. Many thanks! 

Labels