Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use File Browse and Action tools to update Excel file save location in Render tool

Jeremy
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to solve something I thought would be straightforward.  I have an application I'm creating, and I want the output of that application to be a table rendered into an Excel file.  I would like to choose where this file is saved to on each run.  Below is a screenshot of the relevant section of the app.  Incoming is just a basic table with a few columns.

workflow.png

The Render tool is configured:

render tool.png

And the Action tool:

Action tool.png

When I run the workflow normally, everything works, and the file is rendered to the [Redacted].xlsx file.

When I run the workflow as an application, I get an error because the File Browse tool is inserting the sheet name into the text I'm replacing with the action tool.

error.png

How do I change the file name and path in the render tool without including the sheet name so the render tool will see the string as a valid file name?

I found an unresolved post from years ago with the same question: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Outputting-a-Render-file-through-file-...   I wonder if @rajatjain1 ever got the answer they were looking for.

2 REPLIES 2
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Jeremy, try updating the value with this formula. This way won't matter what the user inserted as sheet name.

REGEX_Replace([#1],'(.*)\|{3}.*','$1')

gabrielvilella_0-1653603528520.png

Jeremy
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @gabrielvilella, that worked perfectly.

Labels