Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

(Urgent!!) Splitting Source (with Format) into Multiple Excel Files based on Column

zz10
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm really new to Alteryx and been facing difficulties in getting this to work. I would like to use Alteryx to split the source data into multiple excel files based on the column - Group ID. Thanks to the helpful sharing by the community, I was able to achieve that. However, I am unable to find any solution to retain the format (cell colours, conditional formatting, bold text, hidden column).

After searching the internet for hours, the only workaround I can find is using tools like Report, Table, Render. I was hoping there could be a more straightforward solution since the format and rules were already configured in the excel template. I'm wondering if the solutions below are even possible in first place?

1. Since I'm able to use Alteryx to split the source into multiple excel files, is there a way to "Copy" & "Paste as Values" in the formatted excel file and rename them?

2. Any way to split the source file into multiple files while retaining the format?

Please refer to the attached dummy file, Alteryx workflow (for split and rename as new file) and the desire outcome.

Hope to receive some guidance from everyone.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @zz10 

Attached is a workbook that will get your desired outcome. Instead of using the normal output tool, i did some conditional formatting using the reporting tools.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Also, mark this as a solution if it solved your problem, so it could benefit others on the community!

Thanks,

Carli

Carli
zz10
5 - Atom

Hi @CarliE,

Thank you so much for the guidance!! You're a life saviour and it works perfectly for me! 

However, I still have some questions below on the formatting:

1. Is it possible for Alteryx to output "Good", "Fair" and "Bad" highlighted in colours instead of separating them?

2. On question 1, can the rows be placed on top of "Performance" directly?

3. How do I add on another indicator - Age range (example) and position them on top of "Age" as shown below?

zz10_0-1630644315071.png

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you again!

ZZ

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @zz10 

I am glad it worked for you! Attached is the new workflow. To conditionally format the columns you have to create a column rule on the specific column in the data. I added conditional formatting on the age and did >= 30 so 30 gets captured in one of the groups. You can make changes if need be!  Let me know if you have any questions!

Please mark as a solution if you found this helpful, to help the other community members out!

Thanks,

Carli

Carli
zz10
5 - Atom

Hi @CarliE,

Thank you so much! It works perfectly, and I'm able to have a clearer understanding of the tools now.

Once again, thank you!

Regards,

ZZ

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Happy to help! Have a nice weekend.

Carli
Labels