Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Uploading a file via Download tool

Ritesh127
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All!

I am attempting to use the download tool to carry out some API commands. Per this article(https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/APIs-in-Alteryx-cURL-and-Download-T...) , I have been able to understand how curl commands translate to fields in the download too. It states the Get/put, - d (for data) and - H (for headers) equivalents in the download tool, but is there a -F equivalent available in the download tool as well - for the purpose of uploading a file via api? Or any other method to use download tool to upload a file via API

Would appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Ritesh127 

Look at @OllieClarke's solution in this post.  API details vary by implementation so you'll need to adapt it according to the documentation of the API you're using

Dan 

Ritesh127
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @danilang  for directing me towards the post! Thank you @OllieClarke your pointers were very helpful in setting up the download tool to a great degree!! I am still seeing a final issue and would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this

Following the suggestions on that post, I have got the download tool to seemingly work - It shows a 200 response in the Download Headers field, which would mean it's successfully uploaded attachment - However on checking the environment(Jira) where attachment was expected, I see that it hasn't actually attached the file. The DownloadData field in Download tool does not show anything aside from a box type symbol made of square brackets like the following- '[]' - not sure what that means and if it indicates an issue in the upload? Could there be something about the file blob/string data that I am sending which is causing this? 

1. I have tried connecting the Blob Input tool directly to the download tool
  2. Also tried using Blob Input tool and then Blob convert tool
    Both give the same output as above

And one thing I've noticed with the download tool here is that

• It gives 415 error if Content Type is not provided as one of the headers
  • If the Content type is set to Multipart-form-data then it gives 500 Server error and DownloadData field shows Boundary not Set disclaimer
  • If the Content Type is set to Multipart/form-data: boundary=--RandomBoundary then as mentioned above the download tool indicates successful upload but on actually checking the JIRA it isn't uploaded

I have been able to successfully upload the file via Postman(where neither Content Type and boundary do need to be specified) but am unable to do so via Alteryx.

Link to API documentation if required is: https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.13.0/#api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey{/attachment...

Would like to highlight that while the above documentation mentions Content Type as application/json, setting that in Download tool causes it to give the 415 error

Could you please share any thoughts on what I could do differently to complete this?

Labels