Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Uploaded macro to gallery, now how to use?

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I uploaded a macro to the gallery, and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it in my workflows.  Whenever I try and insert a macro, I'm only given the options to insert a local file.  How can I insert a gallery macro into my workflows?

Thanks.

Highlighted
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@adm510 Here are a couple ways that macro works:

1) Macro repository: From your user settings, you can add a macro repository where you store all your macros. If you you also want to use them on the server, you can have your repository be a network folder that the server can also access. Note that a server admin would also have to be setup to access that macro repository. This is the method I prefer because the macro is pulled live at runtime and other desktop users can also use your macros.

2) Package macros: Any macro that you work with on your local desktop can be packaged when you save your workflow to the gallery. That way the server can access it. 

So from your local machine, you insert any macro on your computer or network folder that you can access. Then if you also want the server to use it, you would need to save it to a pre-specified macro repo or package it when you save your workflow.

In terms of saving macros to the gallery, that could be a good way to share macros with other designers if you don't have a central repository. As you point out, the way you would actually use it is by downloading it from the gallery and saving it to your machine/network and then adding that local copy to your workflow.

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

Hi @patrick_digan,

I'm aware how to package macros, but what I wanted to know was how to use the published gallery macro.  I can't seem to find any documentation on this and since it's there, I figured I would go ahead and use that method going forward.

I'm currently using your method #1, every system where Alteryx is installed (including server) also has a share \\localhost\Alteryx

\\localhost\Alteryx\macros

\\localhost\Alteryx\PowerShell

\\localhost\Alteryx\macros

\\localhost\Alteryx\temp

\\localhost\Alteryx\caches

etc...

This allows me to have the same config on every system, but it also allows me to edit files locally... then all I have to do is copy the file to other servers once it's ready to go "live"

Highlighted
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@adm510 Awesome! At my company, we don't really have any use for published macros to our server; instead, we all have access to a network folder where we all save our macros. I can see for a bigger company where a single network path can't be accessed by all, the ability to publish macros to the server would be useful. That way others could log onto the gallery or use their designer to save a copy of the macro to their local machine so that they could use it.

Labels