Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Upload blob

macinjosh1
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I'm trying to upload a csv file via the download tool. I've got my data all good to go and in a blob, but when it comes to uploading it, it keeps failing. 

I can upload it fine using a file on my desktop and Postman, here's the code for what works there:

code pic.png

I'd really prefer to find a solution that doesn't involved saving a file anywhere and just keeping the data in the workflow as there is sensitive data involved.

Here's how my download tool is set up:

1.png2.png3.png 

When I run this, it looks like it uploaded ok, but when I check the status, it says it's failed. 

Thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES 14
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @macinjosh1 ,

I'm not sure why you're using a blob, but you can download to a specific file location in the download tool, then simply load in the file you downloaded:

mceleavey_0-1621612749753.png

you can create the filepath in a formula tool and simply download it there. Then wrap an input tool in a macro, feed this field into the macro andset this as the input path.

EDIT: Hang on...I misread this. You want to UPLOAD?

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@TheOC ?

One for you?

Bulien

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @macinjosh1 

What response are you getting back in the DownloadHeaders field?

Dan

macinjosh1
6 - Meteoroid

So interesting question, the initial response I get is this:

4.png

But I have a check status in an iterative macro after that times out. When I use Postman to check on it, this is the response I get:

5.png

macinjosh1
6 - Meteoroid

Any one have any ideas?

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @macinjosh1 

Sorry for delay getting back to you, i was hoping to get setup with Qualtrics to have a look at it first hand, as these are usually a little difficult to work out without having access to the API, but i suspect a couple things. The request you make in Alteryx is slightly different, in that your field name is 'FileBlob' 

TheOC_0-1622035860079.png
Whereas within the request, it is --data-binary:

TheOC_1-1622035873858.png
This could potentially be the difference - Although it shouldn't matter it may be worth changing to see if it helps.

Additionally, this article explaining this functionality states:
"the tool has to be configured to send a PUT command", are you able to try it as a PUT command and see if that works?
I haven't managed to find the documentation of the API call you are referencing specifically, but a similar one is a PUT request, so this may be the difference needed:
https://api.qualtrics.com/api-reference/reference/singleResponses.json/paths/~1responses~1%7Brespons...

Also, i'd recommend if you need it working ASAP, looking at the RunCommand tool, this allows curl to be executed, so your curl statement would work exactly the same as in command line. 

Hope this helps!
TheOC

Bulien
macinjosh1
6 - Meteoroid

@TheOC 

I'm not married to using the download tool, runcommand is fine. How do I get the blob to get uploaded in that scenario?

Thanks for your help!

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @macinjosh1 

You could use the exact curl request you are using in the first image:

TheOC_0-1622048956266.png

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
macinjosh1
6 - Meteoroid

Hey @TheOC Thanks for the help so far!

Sorry, but I'm not tracking here, and not familiar with the runcommand tool which isn't helping...

I've got a blob of data all ready to go. I can put that curl information in the command part of the tool I believe. But I want the data to come from the blob, not the file that's listed there. That's the part I'm missing right now.

Labels