Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating the existing workflow with new data every month

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

I need help.

I have three months of dataset in the sql server. I connect to sql server  and i create a new column for the calculated average of all the three months by Place in the alteryx workflow. Please find below the sample data

sriniprad08_0-1632819669412.png

Now the problem is i will be getting the new data every month and i need to append to this data and calculate the average. I dont want to manually import new data every month and run the workflow.

Please let me know if any automated flow is avaliable,

Thanks,

Sri

9 REPLIES 9
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @sriniprad08,

the solution would be to my mind to use a transpose tool and then calculate the average. In the end, you can also use a cross tab if you want a specific format or even use a join to join the new averages calculated with a summarize.

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@sriniprad08,

Could you share a sample data? It will help us to give you the solution.

Regards,

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @messi007 

Please find attached the data and the intended output. Every month new data will be uploaded.

Need to calculate the average by place by month.

output

sriniprad08_0-1632824320189.png

thanks for the help

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you @Ladarthure 

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I did a sample using your screenshot!

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you very much @Ladarthure  helpful. However i have question suppose every month new excel data is uploaded how to append that to the existing master file and add a date column to make sure it correctly map the place.?

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Yes, you can try and replace the text input I did with an excel file, add 2 columns an it will work as intended. The trick is in the use of the *Unknown field in the Transpose tool and a record Id for regrouping the data all together!

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

@Ladarthure something simliar to the below format output please. I need to create a new month and year column

sriniprad08_0-1632825306915.png

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@sriniprad08,

Please see below how you can do it 

messi007_0-1632825370172.png

Attached the worklfow,

Regards,

Labels