Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating table and adding a month label

Milutin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

I have a table in excel that will be updated every month. I would like to add a new column called Month and every time the table is updated it should put the name of the month in which the data was added.

It may sound easy, but I am only a beginner in Alteryx, so any kind of help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Milos

6 REPLIES 6
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Milutin 

Have a look at this page, it contains everything you need to know:

https://help.alteryx.com/10.1/Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

Milutin
6 - Meteoroid

I am sorry, but I still don't get it. Should I add a field using Formula Tool, and then use DateTime functions?

JulioMO
9 - Comet

Hi @Milutin 

Could you please share a sample of what your input data is and what your desired output is? I don't quite get what you want and this will allow me to better help you!

Thanks!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Milutin 

That's exactly what you'd do 

W.png

Use a Formula tool to add a new column into your dataset.  The formula I used is 

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeNow(),"%b-%Y")

This statement uses DateTimeFormat which can extract the various parts of a date, to extract the month and year "%b-%Y" from the current date DateTimeNow() and puts the results in a new column called CurMonth, giving you...

r.png

Use the link that the inestimable @LordNeilLord provided to find out what the "%b" and "%Y" represents as well as look into the various date time functions and format options.

You might also want to spend some time in the Academy to get a handle on the Alteryx basics. 

Dan

Milutin
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks a lot , that is exactly what I needed. Just one more question, can I add month retroactively, for example July and August?

Thanks also for recommending me the academy.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Milutin 

You can use the DateTimeAdd() function(check the DateTime section of this page) to add or subtract months from the current date.  If you have a date, DateTimeTrim([DateField],"firstofmonth") will give you the first of that month.

Dan

Labels