Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating string values with another values

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

In the below record, I need to update the Class to 'Second' and Code to 'IMX'. I tried to update this through the formula tool but it is not working.

NameGenderClassCode
BobMaleFirstOPE
4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi there,

A formula tool should be able to do it. Have you configured it as shown below?

Annotation 2020-07-14 081626.png

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

@AngelosPachis 

Actually, there are thousands of records in the actual data. I believe, in that case, the provided solution won't work.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

The provided solution will replace class and code to "Second" and "IMX" no matter how many records are in your dataset, since the formula tool applies into specific columns.

If that doesn't answer your question, can you please provide a better representation of the input/desired output?

Thanks

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do you have a lot of different values you are trying to update? If so, I suggest making reference lists with "old" and "new" values and then using the find and replace tool. See attached for an example.

echuong1_0-1594730986559.png

If not, you can use a formula tool with conditional statements to update the values in question.

echuong1_1-1594731133942.png

Labels