Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating rows by unique identifier

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have two data sets that I am trying to join by rows instead of columns but by using the unique identifier.

rows to configure.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jalizmaldonado 

Hope I understand your intention correctly.

0116-jalizmaldonado.PNG

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu I appreciate your assistance. 

At the moment I have two separate files (1) the template/ format the rows are supposed to be in (2) the updated data in to be fed into the template/format. The data are in the appropriate columns but not in the appropriate rows. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jalizmaldonado 
Sorry for still being able to understand the need here.

Possible for you to provide a set of sample data and desired output?

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jalizmaldonado ,

Maybe with a sort tool? Not sure about the logic behind the sequence you want your rows to appear.

AngelosPachis_0-1610784401156.png

Output

AngelosPachis_1-1610784432357.png

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu I hope all is well. 

Attached you'll find sample data. The data in the tab labeled 'Data to Update Template' is the data the needs to update columns F and on but need to correlate with the appropriate employee id/name. Both data sets have the data in the appropriate columns but not in the appropriate rows. The template cannot be reconfigured or sorted, only updated. I hope this makes sense. Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Jaliz Maldonado

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AngelosPachis , I hope all is well. 

Attached you'll find sample data. The data in the tab labeled 'Data to Update Template' is the data the needs to update columns F and on but need to correlate with the appropriate employee id/name. Both data sets have the data in the appropriate columns but not in the appropriate rows. The template cannot be reconfigured or sorted, only updated. I hope this makes sense. Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Jaliz Maldonado

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jalizmaldonado ,

If I understand correctly, is this your desired output?

AngelosPachis_0-1610997223272.png

I didn't reconfigure the "Template" tab as you mentioned, I just appended the data you needed from the "Data to Update Template" tab to the correct row through a Find & Replace tool

AngelosPachis_2-1610997397404.png

Let me know if that works for you or you have any questions on the workflow.

Cheers,

Angelos

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AngelosPachis  I hope all is well. 

This is the desired outcome! Thank you so much. When I added the tools, however, my data fields continue to populate as a null value. Do you know why that could be? 

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Difficult to say without a screenshot of the data @jalizmaldonado .

Probably the employee ID field you are looking for in the Template field is not contained in the one having the actual data? Can you double check that those are exactly the same? Again, tough to call what's causing the issue right without hands on data

Labels