Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating directory with Folder Browse

joeyikeeli
6 - Meteoroid

Capture.PNG

Hi! I'm unable to get this to work as the directory path does not get updated to the one i select in Folder Browse. What should i do?

6 REPLIES 6
Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@joeyikeeli ,

My guess is that the action tool is not configured properly.  I'd show us a screenshot of that or create a small workflow with these three tools and send.

joeyikeeli
6 - Meteoroid

@Dynamomo

thanks for the response! here is the workflow 

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@joeyikeeli 

You actually have a couple of ways for this to be done:

1 - I would just use the default action type ->Update directory with Folder Browse (default).  That way you don't have to even configure anything.  this is the best way to configure the action

2 - if you want to just fix what you have... you need to remove the quotation marks around the [#2]

Best practice to debug and see what is going on with your app?

• Go to View->Interface Designer
  • Click on Test View (icon is under the wrench and looks like a magic wand)
  • enter a directory
  • click on Open Debug button
  • A copy of the workflow will open called Debug Workflow# (# being some number)
  • Look at the directory tool and you can see there how your app changed the value (or if it did and how it did)

cowatson
7 - Meteor

I am working with this workflow.  I show the directory tool having the updated directory when i run through the debug view, it works.  In the directory tool i now have the directory specified in the Folder Browse Tool.  However, when when I select "run as an analytic app" and select the folder, and hit finish, I get a pop-up that says "Finished running New Workflow1 in 0.8 seconds    There Were No Output Files"  I select ok, hit Exit, and the directory on the Directory tool is still blank.

Maybe i am running this wrong? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

pbeeram
6 - Meteoroid

I have got same question! I don't see an output when I run analytic app

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @pbeeram,

The directory tool is an input that can provide tools within Alteryx the direct location of a file or files as a string and doesn't create an output. To create an output you'll need to put an Output Data at the end of the workflow and use the directory location provided by the directory tool to point to that location. Once the output data tool is set up it will update the file in that directory location.