Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating a value without using the action tool

JonnyR
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am currently building a macro to allow users to upload to hdfs. I have a tree tool which allows the user to select the filepath of where they would like to save to, which spits out the key to the action tool in my workflow. I am using this action tool to filter a table down to the row which includes the filepath. At this stage, I'd like to replace the filepath in the output tool I'm using with the value from the "true" part of my filter. 

The effect I'm looking for is identical to what the action tool would do (Update Value (default) to replace "folder/subfolder" in my connection string with the value from the filter) but I can't use the action tool as the input isn't coming from an interface tool. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

(In red below is essentially what I want to do) 

Alteryx query.png

4 REPLIES 4
SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hello @JonnyR,

If you append the "folder/subfolder" field to the "mapping csv" input, you could then pass that field to the Output tool to replace the output path.

Capture.PNG

If you're able to share your workflow file I'd be happy to set up a demo of what I mean.

Sam :)

JonnyR
7 - Meteor

Brilliant, thank you! That completely solved it, but I have a quick question about the tools. 

I had assumed that using your method, a new file would be created for each record (overwriting the previous file leaving just a single file with 1 record in it) as it is taking a new filepath from the field for each record. This wasn't at all the case thankfully, but I don't understand why? If there were different values in the new "path" column, would it have written a file for each distinct value? 

Thanks a tonne for your help! 

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @JonnyR,

Yes, it keeps them all in the same file, it sort of does a group-by pre-export on the file path and then outputs all records with that file path together in the same file.

Sam :)

JonnyR
7 - Meteor

Thanks for all your help!

Labels