Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating a field in a database

karlhansen
9 - Comet

I have successfully created a flow that updates the data in the flow.  I would like to write those changes back to my SQL Server database so I can track what has happened.

For instance, UPDATE mytable SET myfield = 1 WHERE keyfield = [keyfield].

Both the keyfield and the myfield are represented in a Formula that holds all the values in records as I need them (as verified in a Browse).  I send those records to an Output which is set to "Update; Warn on Update Failure", but all I get is an error that says "Primary Key required for Update option".

I would even settle for assigning a static value to myfield for each record identified by keyfield.

Does Alteryx write back to a database? 

Am I missing such a basic capability?

2 REPLIES 2
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @karlhansen ,

I'm not an expert, but I use to get that error when trying to update a table in a database. 

So, to use the Alteryx designed function of updating a database, you need to have a primary key defined in your database table in order to work.

Best,

Fernando V.

karlhansen
9 - Comet

As I looked further due to your suggestion, I found I had created an identity field, but not a primary key.  That has been changed, and, when tested, showed that the database update ran smoothly.  

Problem solved!  Thank you!

Labels