Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating a Filter with Multiple values using a listbox in an alteryx app

lharris17
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am building an alteryx app to look at sales in a specific store group. My plan was to use a listbox to allow the user to select which group of stores that they would like to analyze. This listbox would then update a filter that is connected to a join. This join filters out the specified stores from the original dataset. However, so far this method only returns a workbook with 1 store in the list. I have attached a picture of my input for the listbox, my filter, and my workflow. Any advice?

7 REPLIES 7
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lharris17 I would use the interface designer >>> Test View to try out my app. You can use the Open Debug then to see what is being populated in the filter tool.  Hopefully this can help you figure out what's wrong. If I had to guess what's wrong, be sure your list box is generating a custom list with a comma as the separator:

Capture.PNG

The action tool can cause trouble, but the fact that it's returning 1 store in the list means it's less likely a problem with the action tool.

lharris17
7 - Meteor

I am still having some issues, would you mind looking at my workflow?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lharris17 Thanks for posting the workflow, that makes it a lot easier to debug! Here is what I did:

I ran the debugger:

Capture.PNG

I then looked at the filter to see that it's not configured as expected. Also note that the comment added shows you the list box is trying to pass "Type A, Type B, Type C":

Capture2.PNG

Back in your original flow, you have your action tool selecting the custom line instead of your formula 1 line above it:

Capture3.PNG

But from the debugger I see that it's passing Type A, Type B, Type C (instead of the store numbers). So i tweaked your flow to transpose the store list, apply a filter to it, and then join that back to your sales data. 

Hope that helps!

lharris17
7 - Meteor

You just saved my life! Thanks Patrick!

lharris17
7 - Meteor

One more question. My organization has not updated to the new version of Alteryx and I have issues opening workflows created in the new version. I have never uploaded anything to the gallery, but do you think that would allow me to view these workflows?

lharris17
7 - Meteor

Nevermind. I found the solution. Thank you again!

Macro to convert workflows created in newer version to a different version:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Dealing-With-New-Version-Workflows-Before-Yo...

Changing the version using notepad:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/knowledgebase/article-id/854

kate_1
5 - Atom

Thank you for this suggestion! I also had a similar problem and also had the action tool selecting the wrong line. Now it's working great!

Labels