Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating a 'Connect In-DB' tool after initial user inputs have been processed.

Gdh1091
5 - Atom

Probably a poor subject line, apologies.

I'm building an app that allows a user to select a custom polygon on a map and then outputs analysis about the data points located inside that polygon over a period of time.

The data that's to be filtered is in a very large DB, roughly 200,000 data points recorded every hour for the past year and a half. Therefore I'm trying to apply various user inputs, such as the polygon mentioned above, to filter results down as much as possible at the initial query level.

The problem I've encountered is that I can't do a complex filter such as the one performed by the spatial match tool on my data in this initial query (unless anyone has any bright ideas about how this could be done)... but what I can do (or at least I feel I should be able to do) is take the user input polygon and use the coordinates of the bounding rectangle to update the Connect In-DB query and therefore filter out most of what I don't want, even if its not all of it. I can then perform a spatial match outside of the DB with the more complex shape on what's left.

My main question is once I've processed the user's input through a spatial info tool and I've got the coordinates of the bounding rectangle how do I get those coordinates into an action tool to update the Connect In-DB query?

I'm quite new to interface and In-DB tools so I'd appreciate any help you can give. Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
bharatandalam
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Gdh1091 

According my knowledge, we cant use spatial objects with In-db tools.

but i can help you, if you want to process the data

Thanks,

Bharat

Gdh1091
5 - Atom

Hi Bharat,

I came to the same conclusion on the spatial objects.

The data does contain each point as a set of coordinates however and since posting I've realised I can use the 'Dynamic Input In-DB Tool' to adjust my query to perform a simplified version of what I require. I can then apply the more complex spatial match to the remaining data outside of the DB.

Many thanks for your help though!

Labels