Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating User field names to match formula field names via List Box

Reggie1995
8 - Asteroid

All - Here is my case.

I am creating an app which takes a list of locations and assigns lat and longitude to those locations via an analytic app.  The problem is, sometimes the fields that are provided by the system do not match the template fields.  For instance, the file supplied may have:  Address 1, Address 2, City, State.  My Formulas are driven off of fields that are named 'Office Address 1, Office Address 2, City, State/Province.

My plan is to make a chained app where part 1 simply creates an output which then will populate each of the drop downs with a list of all column headers from the users file.  I then want the user to be able to select which of their fields is office address 1, etc.  So for City, the user will select their column header which contains city details.  I then want the workflow to update their field name to the corresponding field name so that the workflow runs as normal since it will recognize the field name.  Any help here is appreciated.

Reggie1995_0-1589809533733.png

1 REPLY 1
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @Reggie1995 

No need to create a chained app - you can use the 'File browse in this app' option on the Dropdown to pass a list of field names straight from the File Browse to your dropdown:

Hannah_Lissaman_0-1589814812368.png

You can then use that Dropdown to select which field in your Select tool to rename to the chosen field type. To set this up, your app must rename the field so that you can overwrite the rename inside the Select tool. You are overwriting the original field, not the new name.

Hannah_Lissaman_2-1589815108128.png

Hannah_Lissaman_3-1589815135915.png

E.g. My demo is built using the 'City' field from the City Populations sample data. This field is originally called 'City', but for my app to work it renames it to 'City Name'. Now when I run the app, I can overwrite the 'City' field name with whatever is appropriate from my data.

The workflow will look like this:

Hannah_Lissaman_1-1589814870873.png

I have built an example app for you, attached. 

Labels