Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update formual tool

MRotter
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I have a large dataset (over 5 million observations) and I have already divided the dataset into chunks. Now I want to process one chunk at a time according to the chunk_id. I could use a filter tool, but that's not really an option as I would need 27 filter tools. 

Is there any way to update the filter condition and process each chunk individually.

5 REPLIES 5
FilipR
11 - Bolide

1. Can you attach the pseudo_data as well? Or export your workflow as yxzp?

2. What exactly are the processes you need to do, that you need to do them one at a time? Is there a different process for chunk 1 than chunk 2? If the process is the same for all chunks then why not just sort the data by chunk #?

MRotter
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have attached the file as yxzp. I need to upload the chunks in Python. The Python code is already ready and works fine. However, there is a problem: the bigger the dataset gets, the longer it takes to upload the data into the Python tool. 

I just need to tell the filter tool in Alteryx for each chunk_id the id and so on

For example:

first iteration Check if chunk_id = 1 then 
second iteration Check if chunk = 2 then and so on until unitl chunk 27.

Is there any way to update the filter tool?

FilipR
11 - Bolide

I can think of two solutions at the moment:

1) do what you did with the Filters, but combine them with a Block Until Done tool.

2) write a dynamic Python code that will essentially do the same thing (but you will not be in a need of defining the number of chunks from the start) - not sure how to write it myself, though, so I would go with option 1.

Also, Python is not the fastest tool around. Maybe you could rewrite the code entirely in Alteryx instead and get better results?

PS. I couldn't open your yxzp, because I have an older version of Alteryx. :(

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MRotter,

A better way to do this is to use a batch macro that dynamically updates the filter for each chunk (iterates per chunk). Linked here is an example

Also, I saw you have a ceiling formula in there that wasn't doing anything if you want you can group X amount of fields per group by doing 

CEIL([chunk_id]/27) which will group the first 27 records into the first iteration.

If this helped to solve your issue, please make sure to mark it as a solution.

Thanks

Carli
MRotter
5 - Atom

THX Carli, it helped me to progress. 

All the best  to both of you.

Labels