Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update data type for macro use

andreagarosi
5 - Atom

Hi All, 

I am creating an macro and I want to give the user the ability to choose the data type of the end result. Right now the default is a int64, and I want to give them to option to change that to a string. I am not able to figure that out. My best guess would to use a select tool with an action since I know the column name, but every time I try and configure it, it comes out as a double. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks you!  

alteryx question.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @andreagarosi 

Could you please share your workflow with us?

It seems like you're trying to make an app, not a macro. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense, because a Select Tool would do the same thing as a macro would.

Cheers,

andreagarosi
5 - Atom

@

You are correct, it is an app. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@andreagarosi 

Ok, it's not an app. It's a macro because it has a macro Input and output.

I think I get what you're trying to do. 

example22.PNG

You have to force this option to show up by changing the field type in your select tool. This way the Field is loaded (yes, at first these options do not appear).

You need to update this "type" value. Replacing the current type (specific string).

I tested here and it worked fine. Just watch out when testing for conflicting data types (example, choosing an Int for what it should be a string).

Cheers,

andreagarosi
5 - Atom

Thank you !!!!

I was able to get the macro working as I would like. 

Labels