Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update a single cell dynamically while maintaining excel formatting above it

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to update a Vendor name and create an output xlsx file for each vendor.  Below is a snapshot of what it should look like, and I want to create a new file for each vendor while preserving the formatting above the updated value.

I must not be using Preserve Formatting on Overwrite properly as this doesn't seem to be working for me

Trying to keep A1:J2, only update a3 value

sammyb84_0-1667336794076.png

I think the problem is while I'm specifying what to overwrite, it isn't able to use that to create a new file name and is creating sheets instead in the same file.

sammyb84_1-1667337199842.png

I would like to avoid using multiple basic tables to merge columns if possible so any workaround is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @sammyb84, please see the example attached.

gabrielvilella_0-1667398943749.png

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

This is awesome.  Can this work if I only want to update cell A3, the Vendor name?  The Name, Phone and Email that you populated are meant to be blank in your Input data tool.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Yes, you just need to modify the range on the formula tool to A3:A3, this way it will update just one cell.

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

@gabrielvilella thanks for getting this to work for me.  I need to go back and see what you did different than @binuacs as he has this same solution but you have tweaked it for it to work for me to allow just the A3 vendor to be replaced.  Thank you everyone for the support.

Now I think I can add a table format so that Column A width is adjusted to fit in different Vendor names.  

Be blessed!

Labels