Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update a single cell dynamically while maintaining excel formatting above it

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to update a Vendor name and create an output xlsx file for each vendor.  Below is a snapshot of what it should look like, and I want to create a new file for each vendor while preserving the formatting above the updated value.

I must not be using Preserve Formatting on Overwrite properly as this doesn't seem to be working for me

Trying to keep A1:J2, only update a3 value

sammyb84_0-1667336794076.png

I think the problem is while I'm specifying what to overwrite, it isn't able to use that to create a new file name and is creating sheets instead in the same file.

sammyb84_1-1667337199842.png

I would like to avoid using multiple basic tables to merge columns if possible so any workaround is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

In order to create a new file you need to created the full path for the file on the table itself and then use the option to replace entire file path on the output tool.

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello @sammyb84. I believe you are very close. I created an Excel workbook with a single sheet named Sheet1 with the following data and format:

acarter881_1-1667339318423.png

These were my settings. Fullpath includes the path to the Excel workbook, the sheet name, and the data range. You may have to edit accordingly, and it can be made to be more dynamic, but it should preserve the formatting.

acarter881_0-1667339267667.png

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

@gabrielvilella then I get error that I need to specify a sheet name.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Include the sheet name on the path, example: C:\Folder\File.xlsx|||Sheet1

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

@acarter881 sorry for being dense here but i'm not following f2 = 3 is that being used somewhere?

You did solve for me to save down as its each file but it still is overwriting the first 2 rows that I'm trying to preserve.

Thanks for your help so far!

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Try including the range on the full path: C:\Folder\File.xlsx|||Sheet1$A3:J3

acarter881
12 - Quasar

@sammyb84 No, I just did that to update the Excel workbook in some form or fashion. Perhaps you can send an example file? I may be able to preserve those rows.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@sammyb84 One way of doing this with the blob tools

binuacs_0-1667345427766.png

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

I've attached the file i'm using.  Need to preserve the first 2 rows.  Thank you sir!

Labels