Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update Value Node Not Working

lnforman
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have a file directory hooked up to a macro that begins with a Control Parameter, Update Value and Input Data node. However, when I run the workflow it will run as many lines as I have files in my folder but it continuously runs the macro over the first file instead of moving on to the next file in the folder.

Control parameter = file path

Update Value - I have tried many different configurations here but not exactly sure how this works. 

Input Data - which file path should this be set to?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @lnforman 

It's quite hard to support your post without an image, on the face of it it sounds like your doing all the right things, however, I've provided an image of what I believe your configuration should look like.

The path for the input file within the batch macro should not matter, it is essentially acting as a placeholder. It should however be a file similar in type to those you are expecting to read in through your process.

By that I mean, if you are looking to read in xlsx files, set your input file within the macro to be an xlsx.

Within the update value you will then set your action to overwrite the entire filepath string.

BenMoss_0-1605898750087.png

For each record that goes into your control parameter, the action will then overwrite the path given in the input data tool and as a result input each file.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask further questions, especially as I may have completely missunderstood what you are looking to achieve.

Ben

lnforman
5 - Atom

Thank you for your help so far! I have 3 files in my folder with different data, same schema. The workflow is writing three lines to the output file as it should, but it the same three lines (i.e. it's processing the first file 3 times instead of processing 3 files 1 time each.)

The below screenshot shows my setup and has the update value node selected. Is there something I need to change about this configuration?

Capture.PNG

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@lnforman 
Try to put a quotation at the beginning and end of the replace a specific string field, since it is a long string and having spaces.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Okay, I'm thinking the problem might be with the output tool, judging by your 'writing' comment.

This is because, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your configuration on the action with the update value.

If you are able to share the configuration for the output, that I assume is within your batch macro, that would be helpful 🙂

Ben

hroderick
8 - Asteroid

Often, when a tool looks right but doesn't work right, it is best to start over with a fresh interface tool

Labels