Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update Server Credentials Passwords Via API With Alteryx Workflow

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

I would like to update credential passwords on the server via the Alteryx API by creating a workflow in designer to do this. Does anyone have any examples of a workflow that connects to the Alteryx Server API?  

3 REPLIES 3
MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlteryxUserFL if you are on Alteryx Server 2021.4 or later, I recommend checking out the Engine Works blog Introducing the Alteryx Server v3 API. The article includes a macro pack to assist in automating these tasks using the Alteryx Server API.

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Hello, 

I did not see any mention about updating credentials in the link you sent. I also did not see any documentation around it on the Alteryx Website. Any thoughts on how we can update credential passwords automatically? We have a rotation requirement so manually keeping them up to date takes a lot of effort. 

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlteryxUserFL apologies, I overlooked the part of your post about updating the password specifically. This would not be feasible using the API. However, the Data Connection Manager (DCM) was released with 2021.4 and can greatly simplify the task of password maintenance. The DCM is a secure way to store credentials. It allows you to associate credentials to multiple data connections, and they can be shared with other Server uses. When the password rotates, you can update it in the DCM and all workflows referencing that credential will automatically update. Below is the documentation on DCM if this is something you would like to explore.

Labels